At IOP Publishing, we are committed to making universal access to research a reality. We prioritise wider and faster access to research by:
- Offering all our authors the option to publish their work openly in any IOP Publishing journals
- Publishing all open access articles under a Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY) licence with the authors retaining ownership of copyright
- Seeking transformative agreements with organisations that want to make the outputs of their research fully open access
- Annually reviewing the suitability of flipping IOP Publishing subscription journals to full open access
- Making IOPScience, our content delivery platform, as discoverable, accessible and useable as possible
How we are making physical sciences research more accessible
Supporting authors with the costs of OA publishing
We offer a range of discounts and waivers to help authors with the costs of open access publishing.
Increasing our range of OA journals
We publish a growing number of high-impact open access journals and offer a range of options to publish research openly.
Establishing transformative agreements
We work with institutions around the world to establish mechanisms to support open access publishing for their researchers.
We support the early sharing of research via preprint servers and other early sharing platforms. Our authors are allowed to share a preprint of their article anywhere at any time.
Helping authors understand their open access options
The IOPP Journal Finder tool offers an easy way for authors to find out if their institution is funding open access publishing, and whether their chosen journal is compliant with funder mandates.
Ensuring ease of access to content
Our content platform, IOPScience, is quick and intuitive, making it easy to find and access relevant research.
Supporting OA standards and infrastructure
We are a member of the Open Access Scholarly Publications Association (OASPA), a sponsor of the Directory of open Access Journals (DOAJ), a signatory to Initiative for Open Citations (I4OC) and a member of Initiative for Open Abstracts (I4OA).
Supporting Open Science
As a great proponent of Open Science, IOP Publishing celebrates The Year of Open Science with a series of interviews with researchers to hear about their work and why they have published open access through a transformative agreement.